Why we chose Humble?
- Reliable and innovative products designed by Swedish dentists
- Kind to the planet; there ain't no planet B we say!
- Healthier planet = Healthier people
- Recyclable and compostable packaging
- Socially responsible: Every purchase funds oral health projects towards children in need through Humble Smile Foundation
- Bamboo handle with PRIDE RAINBOW nylon bristles. (What's not to love??)
- Softer nylon-6 bristles that are more suited for dental care. We recommend these brushes for sensitive teeth.
MGS Social Impact
As an e-shop, we try to be inclusive where we can which is why we decided to create 'social impact kits' to better reach out to the local community. As an identified non-white Bisexual founder born and raised in the 852 (Hong Kong), I wanted to contribute to the minority communities in Hong Kong who lacks the basic needs and shelter just because they have less civil rights as individuals.
*There are a lot of plans in the back end of this shop for these social impact kits! Believe me, I wish I could scream out these ideas... but a lot of back-end work needs doing first before I officially announce them!
With these Proud edition toothbrushes, 20% of the profit will go towards Hong Kong Marriage Equality.
Use and care
Remove the toothbrush from the cardboard and paper sleeve packaging.
Rinse the toothbrush with water before use. Gently brush your teeth by brushing at a 45-degree angle. Remember to brush both outer and inner surfaces of the teeth. Don’t forget to brush the back teeth.
Once you’re finished brushing your teeth, rinse the bristles with water to remove toothpaste suds and food debris. Dry the toothbrush bristles and handle with a towel - a must! Be weary of the humidity in your bathrooms as it could affect mould on your bamboo handles.
Place your toothbrush in a vented stand to avoid a pool of water in the bottom to prevent moist and dark handles. Or on a dry bathroom shelf. Avoid keeping it in a cup where water collects on the bottom. Change your toothbrush every 3 months
Other Adult and Children sizes available.
Sustainably harvested bamboo handle with soy bean wax coating. BPA-free nylon-6 bristles made by DuPont: strong, durable, hygienic and safe synthetic material for dental care. Vegan certified by the Vegan Society UK.
Origin of manufacturing: China
PackagingCompostable inner sleeve in a cardboard box. The sleeve is for hygiene reasons.
*compostable inner sleeve may not be home compostable friendly. But if you do test it out in your home compost bin, please let us know! We would love to know!
Pull out the nylon bristles with pliers and toss in a paper bag / folded up newspaper in the bin to keep the bristles together. We don't want those bristles ending up as microplastic on our beaches and in our ocean!
Compost the bamboo handle or use in craft projects or as silly plant labels!
Alternatively, use them as cleaning brushes or as 'brow' makeup brushes.
* Currently Hong Kong doesn't have a recycling system for nylon-6 bristles as they are too small for recycling. Although the bristles have undergone biodegradable lab testing and are (somewhat) bio-based, they are not compostable at all and will have to be trashed. We are looking into plant-based bristles toothbrushes as we are a tad iffy with pig (and animal derived) bristles.
Why bamboo for the handles?
- Renewable material that is naturally pest-resistant and fast growing plant
- No need for fertilisers or pesticides thanks to the vast root network in bamboo plantations to allow rapid recovery when damaged. Fast growing speed makes fertilisers and pesticides redundant.
Why nylon? Aren't synthetic bristles, erm... not plastic-free and sustainable?
The most commonly used are n ylon - 6,6 and nylon - 6. Although both types have the same ratios of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen atoms, they begin with different polymer building blocks. This is what drives the difference in polymer structure and physical properties.
Humble chose to use nylon - 6 because it has a lower hardness (which is good for your teeth) and a lower water absorption (which is good for keeping your brush hygienic) compared to other types of nylon.
The carbon footprint of nylon is comparable to wool. The nylon - 6 which they use is biodegradable over time and are produced by DuPont.